The Dr. Robert C. Poos home is a museum that has been owned by Heritage House since 1991. Built in 1888, this Second Empire (mansard roofed) style home was occupied by members of the Poos family continuously from 1890 until the mid-1980's. It has been largely restored and furnished with loaned and donated items that reflect its Victorian heritage. An unusual outbuilding, which was intended to be a bathhouse that never opened, contains displays of medical paraphernalia used by Dr. Poos and others and also contains displays of other local historical artifacts. The home also features a working windmill that replaces one that stood over the backyard well until after the doctor's death. There are also several Poos family heirlooms on display, such as the 1893 Chicago World's Fair piano in the Victorian parlor.
The Poos Home is open by appointment and is also shown by guides on duty at the Schlosser Home on days that the museum is open. Stop there first. A donation of the visitor's choice is appreciated.